Ibrus, Indrek / Scolari, Carlos A. (eds) (2012) Crossmedia Innovations. Texts, Markets, Institutions. Berlin / New York: Peter Lang
Crossmedia and transmedia are keywords of increasing importance for media professionals and scholars alike. Although these phenomena are older than sometimes argued, the affordances of digital networked media have radically enriched the nature of «crossmedia strategies» of media industries. As such crossmedia is an emergent practice that arises as one of the core sources of complexity and innovation for late modern cultures.
This edited volume includes chapters by authors from three continents who approach the phenomenon from different disciplinary angles: semiotics, cultural studies, media economics, political economy, innovation studies. The common interest lies in the dynamics that lead to experiments with crossmedia and in how our cultures are innovated through such practices.
- Indrek Ibrus/Carlos A. Scolari: Introduction: Crossmedia innovation?
- Maarja Saldre/Peeter Torop: Transmedia space
- Carlos A. Scolari: The Triplets and the incredible shrinking narrative: Playing in the borderland between transmedia storytelling and adaptation
- Colin B Harvey: Crossmedia cross-stitch: Spinoff stories as transmedial and intramedial suture
- Sarah Atkinson: The view from the fourth wall window: Crossmedia fictions
- Andreu Belsunces Gonçalves: Fringe: Playful transmedia
- Richard Berger/Ashley Woodfall: The digital utterance: A crossmedia approach to media education
- Joan Ramon Rodríguez-Amat/Katharine Sarikakis: The fandom menace or the phantom author? On sharecropping, crossmedia and copyright
- Göran Bolin: Audience activity as a co-production of crossmedia content
- Cinzia Colapinto/Eleonora Benecchi: Movie industry goes viral in the XXIst century: If what counts is the buzz…
- Annika Wiklund-Engblom/Seppo Leminen/Mika Westerlund/Simon Staffans/Michaela Esch/Risto Rajala: Towards transmedia innovation: An empirical analysis of a multiplatform format
- Steinar Ellingsen: Web series, independent media and emerging online markets: Then and now
- Indrek Ibrus: The AV industry’s microcompanies encounter multiplatform production
- Aurite Kouts: ‘You make the movies’: Audiences as new filmmakers in the age of user-generated content
- Jose A. García-Avilés: Innovation management in crossmedia production: Leading change in the newsroom
- Rosa Franquet i Calvet/María Isabel Villa Montoya: Exploring the crossmedia content of public broadcasters in Catalonia and Denmark
- Ivar John Erdal: What media logic? Organization of crossmedia production in two medium-sized Norwegian newsrooms.